View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I would be asking about the ages of the kids. any other pets they have, where the puppy will live, where it will sleep, who will be the primary caretaker, do they work, how many hours per day the puppy will be alone, tell them about hypoglycemia, ask about saving money for emergencies, explain about the importance of using a harness instead of a collar, etc. There are so many more. Important thing is to ask as many questions as it takes to satisfy yourself that the puppy would have a home as safe and reliable as your own home.

Great questions, Joey's breeder also asked about "what were my beliefs on discipline." I can't believe it, but there are still so many people who believe it ok to hit a dog. Usually the say something like, "Well I don't believe in hitting a dog, but, occasionally, it's necessary." One member here, had to put down one pet because of aggression problems and she couldn't afford a trainer. Later she bought a yorkie, and of course she was thrilled with the new puppy, but later she complained of aggression problems with the yorkie, and if I were a breeder, I would try to make sure one of my pups never got into that kind of situation. I would also ask if they have ever rehomed a pet. Just because someone has had to do this, doesn't automatically rule them out, but I would want to know if the situation was resolved, and how they found the new home. I would also want to know why they want a pet, and what they know about house training. It would give you an idea of how much research they have done. Your job is to find the best homes for your pups, and the only way you can do this is with an intensive interview. If they feel like it's too many questions, then they can look to someone who will "sell" them a pet, instead of "adopting" one.

Join today and remove this ad!