View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
wildcard
Senior Yorkie Talker

I teach obedience classes and also private lessons for people who compete with their dogs in obedience (and train my own as well). Different dogs require different approaches. It would be a rare toy dog that would learn like a herding breed. Here are a few ideas:

(1) Far fewer repetition. 8-10 sits is too much. I do 4 reps of any exercise at the most in any one session. If he does it the first time and gets it right, why do it again?

(2). What I call "active" training. This means the dog is in motion in between skills, which means you are in motion too. Keep him up and moving and then ask for random sits, downs, stands whatever. Lots of activity and lots of praise. Toss food treats and tell him to get them then call him to you and toss a treat between your legs for him. Lots of enthusiatic praise, lots of telling him he is the smartest dog ever.
(3) On the down, sit on the ground with your legs straddled. Bend one knee so there is a little hole between it and the ground. Have him "limbo" under it for a treat, you may need some really high value food like liverwurst at first.
(4) Fade out treats. The first rep he sees it, the second rep hold it in your fist so he can smell it but not see it. Then it goes in your sleeve, then the other hand, then your pocket, then on a table, etc. Do this over the course of several sessions.

Good luck and pm me with any questions!
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!