View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
NewYorkieLover
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Wearing sweaters...

Now that the cold weather (and snow!) is here, I have a question about wearing sweaters.

I used to have a shih-tzu, and I often kept her on the longer side. I'd bring her to the groomer every two weeks for a bath, light trim, and to be brushed. With the longer coat, she was obviously more susceptible to matting. I brilliantly thought that by putting a sweater on her, it would "keep the hair in place." Okay - that was a big mistake! It made her one big mat.

The groomer had to work on her for two days, giving an oatmeal bath, because she was afraid of stressing out poor Casey.

I want to make sure Lexi is warm, but I am concerned about matting. Do you find that wearing sweaters (sweatshirts, etc.) causes a problem? How long and when does your dog wear them? Only when going out? Around the house? Overnight?

Lexi has pretty much worn dresses and the occasional t-shirt. The dresses don't cover as much and they're not as tight-fitting, so I haven't had any problems yet.

I'd love to hear from others. Oh, and I'm still new to Yorkies, but I'd say she has a cottony coat, if that matters.

Thank you!
NewYorkieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!