View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

I don't personally breed, but I have done some research on this, and have experienced bringing home a pup at 8 weeks and then at 12. I can tell you that the one we left with her mommy until 12 weeks is much more social and well adjusted. The one we brought home at 8 weeks has anxiety issues that I believe are from being weaned too soon and separated from her mom and littermates too early. My recommendation is to keep them until 11-12 weeks.

I think 2 lbs is a good weight to bring them home. They aren't as fragile, and can better make the trip-especially if they are traveling any distance. If you are breeding, you really should have a digital scale. You need to weigh the pups at birth and frequently afterward to make sure they're gaining weight/eating appropriately.

There is a trend to sell smaller pups and female pups for more-but I don't really understand this. In my opinion, (and because they are CKC registered and pet quality only), you should sell them only without breeding rights, meaning the new owner must spay or neuter them, and put a contract in place that requires the new owner to spay/neuter. The pet population is out of control, and breeding should only be done to better the breed, not for kicks-you wouldn't want someone who doesn't know what they're doing breeding your puppies.

Yes pups are a lot of work and cost money, but if you do some looking around in this section, you'll find that most breeders don't breed for money. They breed for their love of the breed, and to better the breed-and most good and well known breeders also show their dogs. A lot of the pricing depends on your geographic area-are you in Hastings, MN or somewhere else? I would say probably $400-$500 for a pet quality CKC registered dog without breeding rights is fair for that area.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!