View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
love_me_cody
YT 1000 Club Member

Icon2 >>> A question for breeders and others...

Hey,Ya'll!

Okay, I have a questions more towards breeders but is for anyone to answer (the reason it's not in the breeder section).

What happens concerning taxes?

I was aimlessly going through different sites looking at puppies of all kinds to find a breed right for my relative when I came across a site (Labs, I believe) where she states the puppy's prices includes taxes. She isn't a petstore, broker, etc. She only had 4 breeding females and 2 males. She stated that many people have 4 or more litters a year and are probably making more than 5 or so grand a litter and are living off the income, so why not pay/charge taxes since it's basically a job (even if you are a hobby breeder).

I know there is a few breeders that are probably putting their all into breeder (which means they decided not to work outside of breeding), but what happens when it's time to submit your tax information?

Do you even file taxes if you don't have a 'regular' job? and if so, when they ask if you make any other income do you mention and show the sales and money you make when breeding (including receipts for purchases/bills you had concerning what you put in)?

I'm not trying to knock anyone who have several litters a year! To each their own. And it's your own business

Just trying to figure out if it's required for you to mention that your are selling pups when filling taxes, especially if you are getting $20,000 or so a year selling pups (minus the expenses put in).

Personally, I don't think many breeders think about it because they don't see their babies as 'goods,' but when you're selling something, they are considered goods by law. I'm hoping someone at least thought about taxes.

(Please don't bash anyone in this thread just because you don't agree to something. I am not trying to point anyone out or cause trouble, just asking a simple question)... If you don't feel comfortable mentioning it on this thread, I would still love to hear from you in a PM! I know how rude and destructive people can be with their opinions.

It also concerns me that someone who has thought about taxes wanted to go the route of paying taxes needed to get a licences of some type and then are being called a puppymill or something demeaning because they wanted to go that way. I have seen many people saying they see 'red flags' because the breeder are licences in their city/county. I know someone who breeds exotic and puppies and are USDA licence because you have to have it. But because a few people say it's bad, everyone follows what they say.

Last edited by love_me_cody; 12-19-2008 at 07:30 PM.
love_me_cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!