View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
AvyQuinn
YT Addict

I dont know if this will help, but I made a thread a little while back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvyQuinn View Post
So I'm crate training Hiro now. I have been doing so for 24 days.
I got a book and did some reading/research.
Hiro is 7 months old. I don't work and am at home with him all day.

The crate is just big enough for him to turn in and lay down. I have a fleece blanket, a couple safe toys and something to chew on in there. I clean it out regularly with pet deodorant spray, etc. He loves his crate and goes in willingly. Sometimes he doesn't even want to come out. lol

I have us on a strict schedule.

Noon -- Get up, take Hiro out - he'll pee and maybe poo.
12:15 -- Feed him outside his crate. I am in the kitchen the whole time.
12:30 -- Out again - he will poo and pee.
12:30 to 1:30 -- He gets to run around free in the kitchen.
1:30 -- Walk after hubby leaves for work.
2:00 to 5:30 -- Into the crate for the afternoon.
5:30 -- Out for a pee.
5:30 to 8:30 -- Into the crate.
8:30 -- Out for a pee then Hiro gets supper.
9:00 -- Outside again for a pee and a poo.
9:00 to 10:00 -- Playtime in the kitchen until the hubby gets home from work.
10:00 to 1:00am -- Into the crate.
1:00 am -- Out for a pee.
1:00am to 4:00am -- Into the crate.
4:00 am -- Out for the last pee and poo of the night.

While in the carrier Hiro doesn't typically fuss and sleeps soundly all night in it.

So... into the issue at hand.

Now tonight immediately after he was finished supper, and I was doing dishes, Hiro (without a sign or sound that I noticed) peed on the kitchen floor. I scooped him up and took him outside to go pee while I wiped up the kitchen.

When I take him outside to pee and poo I praise him WHILE he is doing the deed. I hadn't been doing that before, but quickly remedied that situation. I was also giving him a treat when he went, but I stopped when I read that sometimes they just want the treat and don't pee. lol

So.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if I AM doing anything wrong, or if it was just a lapse. He typically won't EVER pee or poo in the middle of the night or make *any* noise whatsoever after the hubby and I have gone to bed. This leads me to believe that he can hold it sufficiently. Should I not worry about this little slip or should I be trying a different technique?

Guess I just need a little advice/guidance or some encouragement that I'm doing it right if I am!
I'm a schedule/list oriented type person, so if you are too, this might be helpful. I saw that you work and such, my day is VERY different but you might find some of it may apply! Good luck! There will definitely be days where you just wanna throw in the towel, but it WILL get better! I promise! Just BE CONSISTENT! =)

Oh... and I regretted not crate training him from the VERY beginning! At first I tried to just let him use pads and such while free in the kitchen. Didn't work well for me.

OH YEAH! AND post pics! Hee hee ^^;

Last edited by AvyQuinn; 12-18-2008 at 04:46 PM.
AvyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!