View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

Rule of thumb... for length of time he should be in a crate is about 1 hour for every month old he is.

This is what I would do.

Crate him at night and anytime you cannot watch him at home. As SOON as you take him out, take him to the pee pad and not let him leave until he does his business. Tell him to "Potty" until he does, then reward him and praise him like crazy when he does. I had to block Chip on it when he was little. I put it between the bathroom sink and the toilet and had to block the back of the toilet with the toilet brush holder because he liked to try and sneak off. If you catch him going to the bathroom while you are watching him, tell him "No" then take him to the pee pad and say "This is where you POTTY" and emphasize "potty" because you want him to learn that word.

If you can't come home every few hours to give him a potty break, I would still continue to leave him in a blocked off room. where a pad is available.

Also, you want him to feel comfortable in his crate, so I would coax him in with a treat while saying a word that means to go in his crate (example: when my dogs hear us say IN they know that means to go in the crate), then reward him with treat and praise when he goes in. You can also hid some treats in his crate for him to randomly find it. This way he'll learn that his crate is a fun place for him to be. Also, I would buy him a kong and some of that puppy paste or treats to fill it. It will keep him distracted when you leave. Also give him some toys to keep him entertained. Never give him bones or anything to chew on though and don't leave a harness or collar on him while in his crate because he could hurt himself.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!