View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
ugadawgrx
Yorkie Yakker

Default Not pancreatitis, not a shunt, what is it???

Okay, I'm posting in the hopes maybe someone has been through a similar situation or has any insight. I posted last week about my Millie (about 10 mos, and 3.5 pounds). She woke me up in the middle of the night last week...pacing the bed, soft feces, drinking bowlfuls of water, constant shaking, not standing, walking around, just sitting slightly hunched, whimpering. All of these are not common for her. I took her to the vet and they did some blookwork and her pancreatic enzymes were up around 5000 and her abdomen was tender over the pancreas. The vet assumed it was pancreatitis, so the past week she has been getting only 5 small mini meals of low fat Royal Canin kibble and cimetidine twice daily. She was doing great and was going to be getting her enzyme levels checked today. Well, two nights ago, she woke me up again, same symptoms and still no vomiting or diarrhea. I took her to the ER vet and they did lots of bloodwork and xrays. The ER did a more specific pancreatic test and ruled out pancreatitis. She had slightly higher pancreatic levels, but the vet said it could be due to something else. All other was fine, except one high liver level and undiluted urine with a little bacteria. The xrays showed everything pretty much normal except her intestines were very full. Well she went to the regular vet right after and they did a bile acid test because they were thinking liver shunt. Well, they called today and said that all came back normal, so they are thinking no shunt because of that and no other severe symptoms. They told me to continue the diet and medicine and they are going to culture the urine. I really am at a loss and assuming they are too. Does anyone have any idea what this may be and where I should go from here. She's been pretty healthy (little allergies here and there and a somewhat sensitive GI tract) but these two times have really scared me. Any help or insight would be great!
Thanks, Jessica
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!