Thread: Calcium or not?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
feminvstr
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

it was miserable and so very frightening.

I could tell she was in stress about 10 days into nursing, not eating acting listless, not knowing her calicum levels were getting lower and lower. Never experiencing it before I had no idea what it actually looked like. I fed her more often and smaller meals which still didnt seem to help. I had her in a playpen with a step on the other side so she could get in and out for potty breaks. At 4:00am in the moring she came into my bedroom whining. Well she is a big talker so I told her to go be a good mommy I merely thought she wanted to start sleeping with me again so soon. Well 5 mintues went by, she is still whining, I turn on the lights she can hardly stand she cant sit either, her body was stiff and she was panting heavy. I grabbed her up and sped to an emergency vet, on the way she threw up again and again and her body went into rigor, shaking tremors, panting worse and worse. Running in as fast as I can yelling help my kid please and fast. They did a blood test for calcium levels, she was totally depleated. Within 5 mins of a calcium IV she was back to normal with all the vim and vigor she had before.

Had I not caught this she could have died. Noticing the tall tell signs is essential. Timing is the essence had her temp rose too high (from the panting) she could have gone into full shock, then coma, then possible death.

Its was all to sad to see!! I hope no one has to experience this!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!