View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
melrohner
Yorkie Talker

Trust me, I feel your pain. I've had a two year old puppy mill rescue yorkie since about mid-November, and the housetraining is making me crazy! We've made alot of progress, but we still have a long way to go. You say you take Ralphie out every hour, but he isn't going when you put him out? I'd try leaving him out longer, until he goes, or take him on a leash if you don't already. That was the hardest thing for me with my Kayla - there were many, many times I stood outside with her in the freezing cold for an HOUR waiting for her to go, tears of frustration in my eyes, cursing myself for ever taking on such a hopeless project, and then I'd finally give up, take her inside, and within two minutes she'd pee in the house. We've thankfully gotten past that, but she still has her share of s. I've been just keeping her closely confined and watching her like a hawk, but like you said, she still manages to slip in an somehow. My trainer has suggested using a potty bell as the next step, so I'm about to start that - you hang a bell from the doorknob, and teach the dog to ring the bell when they need to go outside. A couple of years ago I trained my chihuahua to the bell pretty easily, but smart that she is, she just kept ringing it because she liked to be outside. Maybe Kayla won't figure that out So anyway, I just keep telling myself to be patient and not get too discouraged, so that's the advice I'd give you, too. I hope Ralphie AND Kayla get better!
melrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!