View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
MeAndMyOlivia
YT Addict

Hi Shelly, bless you for looking at a rescue! I have rescued 3 furbabies, all through petfinder. Toby, my first, was my wonderful schnauzer-mix boy; he died in Sept. I just got my 3rd rescue yesterday, a little 5 yr old boy yorkie - yet to be named. I rescued Olivia, my sweet girl yorkie, 2 months ago...she is 8 yrs old and is a retired breeder. She too has lost several teeth due to lack of care. But it doesn't keep her from scarfing down her treats! LOL

I am by no means an expert - I am sure you will get lots of good advice from others on here. All 3 have been totally different experiences and different challenges, but I think the common requirement on my part was PATIENCE. Some of these little babies have been through untold horrors, neglected, abused, frightened and learning to trust again is huge for them. My first rescue Toby was extremely afraid of everyone and everything except me and never did learn to trust anyone else. He was terrible at the groomer, but my goodness he was my baby and I still miss him. He was very treat-oriented, so I used lots of treats when training him. It took a while for housetraining and obedience training, but with consistency (and treats!) he did finally catch on.

Olivia has been relatively easy compared to Toby. She was fostered for a bit and the foster mom said someone had taken her, but returned her 2 days later because "she wouldn't come out from behind the furniture". I will say that it was love at first sight with Olivia! I took her home and not one time has she cowered behind furniture. Potty training can be an issue (but isn't it with most new dogs?); Olivia prefers to do her business on the sidewalk or concrete driveway; I'm guessing it's because she simply is not used to grass, having been in a breeding facility her whole life. The only problem I've had that we've not conquered is that she doesn't want to sleep in her bedroom, she wants to be in our room. But I can live with that. She is a one-person dog, and that one person is me. LOL

Now my new little guy...well that remains to be seen! So far, he is doing pretty good. He was a stray and was in terrible shape, so who knows what he went through. I'm working on housetraining and manners training, and getting his coat and skin back into shape. He has lost his hair on the back half of his body, due to neglect. He has really adapted well already, his favorite spot is sitting right here beside me.

Sorry for the long post, but I have come to realize that I do have a special place in my heart for these little rescue furbabies. If I can make a difference in just one life, then it is worth the effort, hassle and time and the love and adoration received in return also makes it worthwhile! When Olivia looks at me with her pretty brown eyes, I see how happy she is now living "the pet life", rather than being stuck in a tiny cold little kennel. I know all breeders aren't like that, but hers was. And when my Toby would sit there so patiently like a little gentleman, waiting for me to invite him up onto my chair - well, it is just priceless considering he was so terrified that he wouldn't leave the kitchen rug for 2 weeks when I first brought him home.

A rescue will need lots of reassurance, encouragement, patience, physical care and training. If you can give that, go for it! And I promise she will make your life so much richer and fuller. It sounds like she will be a good fit for your home! Keep us posted.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!