View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
ambocken
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default We did it!

We adopted our little (12lbs ) Gracie about 2 months ago and she was also used for breeding. She is 3 years old and we were told she was given up because she was "nipping at the children in the family"

Before we picked her up we had never met her but we knew we had to have her. My husband FELL IN LOVE with her just by looking at her. When we drove the 3 hours to pick her up she immediately walked into my lap and stole my heart.

Make sure to verify if she came from a puppy mill type environment or more of a backyard breeder. Ask a lot of questions about her past so you have less surprises.

Some things to consider... as we have found these things important....

- She will probably need training. We found that even though Gracie is 3 years old she acts much like a puppy and we had to sign her up for "puppy classes" to socialize her more with people and other dogs.

-Separation anxiety. Since Gracie has become SO attached to us she has really bad separation anxiety. When we do go places we have to crate her so that she is safe. When we are home she follows follows follows! (especially mommy ) She is still getting used to the idea that she has a loving home now where we will never leave her.

- Potty training. She had many many many accidents in the house until recently (We were on an 8 day streak with no accidents... until this afternoon when she went in her crate....and we start over )

With all that being said.... I wouldn't have chosen any other dog to have in our life!! She is so thankful and loving because we saved her from the shelter and from having more babies. We have been slowly dealing with issues that come up with her and I knew from the first time I met her that she was the right dog for us.

Good luck with everything! YT is a great place to get information on everything you will need to know for your new little girl. Feel Free to PM me if you have more questions.
ambocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!