View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I hope I understand your question and if I do, I wouldn't want to feed a product with BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin. These are preservatives that are questionable and ethoxyquin has been outlawed in at least one country supposedly. I prefer not to give menadione. It is a synthetic form of vitamn k that may have side effects. Beet pulp is controversial and may be an ingredient you'd want to read up on.

Dog foods are full of possible allergens. On the top of the list are corn, wheat, soy and beef. Others can include chicken, barley, flaxseed, etc. Any food could be an allergen though, so I wouldn't necessarily avoid a food just because it contains a common allergen. I would rather avoid corn though, not so much because it isn't digestible, but because it is in a lot of cheaper foods and I wonder if the companies who use it are trying to save money... I wouldn't feed a food with unnamed meat products (like animal digest or animal fat). They need to say what animal. I also avoid by-products.

Some people prefer high protein and some lower. Some who like lower believe that high protein can cause liver and kidney disease. I've never seen a study confirming that but a dog with liver or kidney disease usually then needs to go on a low protein diet. It is really owner preference. There are people who think that using protein in place of carbs is an expensive form of energy and carbs work fine. I lean toward this side just because there is no research that dogs live longer, healthier lives on high protein diets that I have seen (not talking about wolves but domesticated dogs here). I personally wouldn't want to see the fat content much more than 20% (again this is a personal preference though). I just think Yorkies should have lower fat because of pancreatitis risk.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!