View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
lemonlauren
YT Addict

I'm absolutely no expert, but here's as much as I know (or at least think I know - someone else who knows more than me will pipe up soon, I'm sure). My pup has kennel cough too... From what I can tell, it's not horribly serious - kind of like a cold for humans. It's a virus, so antibiotics don't actually cure it, but the vet may put her on antibiotics anyways in case it turns into an infection in her lungs. Some pups can beat kennel cough in a few days, and in some it lasts five months or longer! Our vet, along with many people on here, suggested getting a warm air humidifier/vaporizer thing, and put the vicks stuff in the water. Then put the vaporizer next to her crate (assuming you're crate-training her) and make it all into a little steam cave with towels or blankets over the cage and vaporizer. My vet said at least an hour of this twice a day, or whenever the pup naps.

Beyond that, just take care of her like you would a human with a cold - keep her warm, breathing the moist air, plenty of sleep, etc. And of course keep an eye on her, and stay in touch with your vet - you don't want it to turn into an infection the the lungs. Some people have suggested a tiny bit of cough syrup if the coughing is keeping her up at night, but I don't really know anything about that. Coughing, for the most part though unless it turns extreme, is good because it's getting the gunk up out of her lungs.

Hope that helps a little... I'm sure other people will have more advice.

Good luck, and I hope she feels better soon :-) And congratulations on your new pup!!!

Lauren & Nikko
lemonlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!