View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Raz and Chaz
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 019 New Yorkie Owner: Poo Poo Blues

Hi, I'm "Raz," proud owner of an 11 week old, male yorkie pup named Charlie ("Chaz"). I'm a first-time dog owner and I brought Charlie home with me the weekend he turned 8 weeks old. I've been reading a lot of books and blogs, etc. for helpful tips, and thought it would be a good idea to join YorkieTalk.

My dilema for the moment is Charlie's recent pooing problems. He was surprisingly spot on with both wee and poo when I brought him home, but I apparently gave him too much freedom, and in addition to moving the location of his wee wee pad from one end of the room to the other, I've messed with his flow. Now, he only goes wee on the pads, but poos all over the floor in the room he's gated in to (the kitchen). My poor Charlie is regressing.

I'm open to any and all advice. So far I've tried the following:

- leaving a tiny reminent of his poo on the pad

- saying "Go potty, go potty" when he's actually going and when I put him on the pad

- "matching" him after I put him on the potty (this I just tried for the first time tonight - it's a little unorthodox, but you basically stick a match-side stick of plastic or metal into his tush to induce pushing)

- enclosing him and his potty pad in his play pen (this I'm also just trying for the first time tonight) so that he's in a smaller area (fyi: I do not want to crate him)

- praising him a lot for pooing and weeing on the pad

- no treats for pooing and weeing (lest he think that pooing and weeing in general gets him treats)

- silently showing him the poo when I pick it up from the floor, and then putting the poo on the wee wee pad

Other than hanging in there and being patient, I'm eager to hear what others have to say. Thanks!
Raz and Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!