View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
RoxyJosMom
Love The Verminator!
Donating Member

First, my prayers are with you and your family. I can't imagine the stress you must be under. As for your new little family member, there are many sites and forums for cockatiel owners with a wealth of info. I have 2, a sweet little female and a totally hysterical male who talks to his foot like it's a hand puppet. They will eat whatever people eat and love it(at least mine do). Like dogs, tho, there are a few things that are bad(avacado, chocolate, alcohol and a few other things). I keep a supply of cockatiel seed(bought in bulk at the grocery store, not the fancy kind in the box - they don't like that) and add parakeet seed and more sunflower seeds to it. I tried to switch to pellets, but they wouldn't touch them. From what I have been able to find, the average lifespan is 12 to 15 yrs, but some can live up to 30 yrs. My 2 are both going on 8, but not related. The males are usually the talkers. Cosmo can say 60+ words, phrases and songs(altho he's gotten the songs all mingled with each other so they are just his own creations now). They are alot of fun(except during molting season) and with patience, your little one should start responding to you. Juju was a gift to my dtr from a girl who worked nites and slept days so there were many days she didn't even get uncovered. She came from a breeder and is banded. She, too, was very skittish when we got her, but now she loves to have me groom her head feathers, since Cosmo is a typical male and is too concerned with flirting and talking to himself in the mirror to do it for her. But she will do his. Good luck and check out some of the sites. They have been a big help to me.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!