Thread: cleft pallatte
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
sylvan
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot
I did ask the vet if genetics were involved and they said that there was no proof that that was the case....when I asked about breeding my dog again they thought that should not be a problem we would just put her on folic acid a couple of months ahead of time....i am not a breeder for profit..i just wanted another yorkie like mine.......she is sooooo gooooodddd. We really enjoy our yorkie and wanted to add to our house.....like 2 cats, 2 hamsters, a hermit crab,a yorkie and 2 kids weren't enough....this little one is such a fighter, i really hate to put her down until I know she is suffering for sure or that she has given up the fight....I am hopeful that now that she is gaining weight that that is a positive sign. but i am realistic I know other problems can arise...but I think she deserves the chance...I will keep her and sell the other too and make sure that the buying people know about the little one and hopefully they will decide not to breed them....it is such a hard thing to go through...
Your vet is mistaken and apparently unfamiliar with this issue.. Cleft palate is most certainly a genetic trait, though there are rare instances that have been reported of a toxin ingested or steriod used by/on the mother during the latter stages of pregnancy as a possible cause, however, in that circumstance ALL pups in the litter are affected, so that would not be the cause in this case. Folic acid??? Please, please do not repeat this breeding.
There is no 'hopefully' about having the people who purchase your pups deciding to breed or not. You need to let them know that they must not be bred under any circumstances. I am certain you wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through what you are dealing with now. Hold registration papers until you recieve a copy of spay/neuter done...or have it done yourself before placement.
I admire your dedication in working so hard to save this little girl and sincerely hope it turns out well.
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!