View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 AM   #66
yorkiepuppie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I found the first picture of a boy's twin bed, and I loved the shape, and printed out a pattern to cut the bed. I picked up three boxes from the dollar store; they were long rather flat boxes. The first I used to hold the pillow that was used for a mattress. I cut the corners of the box, and folded it over to get an "edge". Using my favorite "tools" of hot glue, and duct tape, I glued the edges in place; This step wasn't necessary because none of the pictures show the edge of the bed anyway. I cut the headboard and footboard from the other boxes, I just use a knife to do this, and they look really choppy, but here where I thought hubby would take pity on me, and make a real bed. The headboard and footboard are glued to the frame, and the whole thing sets on small legs under the frame, because obviously, the headboard and footboard weren't strong enough to hold Joey's weight. The little carved appliqué on the footboard was just hot glue. I painted the bed first a yellow/gold color, let that dry and painted over that with a darker brown, and rubbed that off with steal wool, repeating the brown step a couple of times, making it look a little more like wood. The little shelf above the bed was just made out of a scrap of trim with thumbtacks hot glued to the back to stick into the wall.

Remember my kids are grown, I'm unemployed, and I have no grandchildren. I do have time, at least sometimes.
wow! yea...but not everyone can make it look that nice even if they have the time to do it!

it really does look amazing!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!