View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal&Little View Post
That method sure does work. I used to carry treats when I was first walking my guys off lead. Make sure your dogs know you have the treats - be prepared to be ignored for the first 10mins - the smells are just tooooo exciting. Then you'll find they listen.

I saw that episode - that was a serious running away problem - that dog would be gone for HOURS! I would just relax and let your dog just run. Carry the treats (or toy or whatever motivates your dog).

If your dog isn't listening. Try running away and make exciting noises - say "bye bye". You'll find your dog will come running to check out what exciting thing mum's doing.

When I get to the park. I make the dogs wait before removing their leads, treat, then release. Then I just start walking. They wind up following me sooner or later - I just keep an eye out that they're not rolling in anything gross!

I never used a long lead. But if you do be prepared for when you do stop using the long lead your dog will know he's no longer on a lead. Dougal acts very differently when he's got his collar on and when I take it off to run an agility course. I didn't think it made a difference but now I've started training without a collar as well.
See Smokey's running problem is worse than that dog. If he sees any opportunity to get away, he will and he's REALLY fast. Honestly, I've never seen a dog so fast. We took him and Chip to a dog carnival a few months ago and he was just running and running so fast... all the dogs were trying to chase him, but they gave up after about 10 feet cause they couldn't keep up.

Oh and the bye bye thing does not work for him. It works for Chip, but not him. He could care less.

Maybe if I take him for a long run first to tire him out, then go take him to a park to train, he'd listen better and I would get better results?

I think one of Smokey's big problems is dealing with his history. See, Chip is VERY attached to us, but we also brought him home at 7 weeks and he was with us 100% of the time. If we let him off leash, he just runs about 15 feet and comes back. Smokey we didn't get until he was 6 months old and we were his fifth home.... so I think it might be an attachment issue as well as his care free, laid back attitude. He loves us, I know he does, and I think it's just now starting to sink in that he's actually got a permenant home that loves him and would never leave him - I've seen some big improvements in his behavior and listening these past couple months, but I'm so afraid to let him off leash... that's why I want to teach him to come when I call him. I wish I could let him off leash more often... I love watching him run... he's so happy and I'd do anything to make him happy, BUT his safety comes before that even. As soon as I get the money when my husband gets a job, I'm going to get Smokey in obedience classes. He knows the basic commands, but he does have some other behavior issues to deal with and I need the help of a trainer.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!