View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
TurkletonsMom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao View Post
thats a tough one i had read many other posts like that and it just didnt sound like my cup of tea so we decided to have our two just go outside and then while they are in the grass they go and if they arent done it still stays out on the yard. sorry im not much help here but i would say you should get away from treating every time and maybe do it every other time for a few weeks and then every third time and so on and so forth until he is off the treat. then after six months or so of working him off the treat he wont expect them anymore and will still continue to use the pad. then maybe he will stay until he is truly done. then you can treat him for it just randomly. i believe if you treat too much it looses its bribbing power and wont be as effective unless you use a new treat for everything you want to teach them. but then you would be handing out more treats than anything else. praise should be treat enough for going the bathroom.
This is true..I agree with much of what you said and have had a lot of the same thoughts. I do plan to try and get him trained to go outside in the spring, it's just that we got him in October(kind of late), so I decided it would just be easier to start when we don't have to deal with the snow/cold. To be honest, I'm a little nervous to stop treating because I don't want him to stop trying..because, we all know how difficult it is to get a yorkie potty trained.

I always appreciate the ideas/suggestions I get here.
TurkletonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!