View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 05:05 AM   #4
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgin's Mom
Okay, I got all excited about Clicker Training this week. Spent HOURS reading everything. And then spent HOURS trying it. And I don't like it one little bit! Sorry, I just can't get the hang of it. I'm always fumbling for the clicker and then the treat and trying to remember what comes next. Poor Higgins just looks at me as if to say "What IS it you want me to do, Mom? Just tell me!"

So I'm going to try another approach....I'll keep ya posted.
Has anyone here used Clicker Training?
OK ... confession time! After what I have read ... I was kinda dreading learning clicker training ... but I am one that woulda "hung in there"! I really believe that the way we have started out training Toto is working. The things that she isn't doing that well with is due to our lack of persistence! Our most valuable tidbit that we learned from Paul [trainer in Lk. Chaz.] was that you keep a little list of the words that you use and be consistent with them! And the most valuable word that Toto absolutely does know is NO! Regardless of the tone or loudness of your voice ... she knows that if she hears that word she is to immediately STOP! I received a great big treat yesterday ... Toto has begun a new thing, I am a "creature of habit" and like I have said before, I am so not "Susie homemaker". I am not one to re-arrange furniture nor move things to different places in the house so things are pretty much exactly where they were when we brought Toto home! She has begun to browse around and gaze at things which she has never shown an interest before! It's really fun to watch her ... almost like she is shopping ... doesn't touch anything, maybe an occasional sniff! I was on the phone yesterday and she was "window shopping" and wandered over to the fireplace and discovered a little loose thread where the carpet meets the edge of the hearth. Yep! She grabbed it and before she could begin tugging and chewing and since I was in no position to "growl" NO in my callers ear ... I simply snapped by fingers at her and when she looked at me I just pointed my finger at her and gave her a stern look. Got the same reaction from her that I get when I give the verbal NO command!! Mary Ellen, you are right ... had I had to fumble around and look for my clicker, she would have had plenty of time to scarf up that little tad of "allergy inducing" carpet!! IMO, I have to agree with Paul ... "what works for you"! I think the best way to train Toto is to simply observe her and when she does something by accident that is a "good thing" we let her know that we approve by applying a "word" to the action and shower her with praise or a special treat!! IT IS WORKING!!! Soooo ... the day she picks up a dust cloth and tries to dust .... "GOOD, Good Girl" .... Hallaleuh Chorus ... and my life will be complete!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!