View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Well, my 1st recommendation is to get to a dog/puppy training class. There you will learn some basic commands as well as training techniques. These same training techniques will do you well when trying to control undesirable behavior.

As far as the hyper behavior, there can be many factors contributing to it. Since I am not aware of your routine, by 1st guess would be that she is not getting enough excerise or playtime with you. If you work all day, and she is penned up or crated, she may need at least a 1/2 hour of walk or play outside. (for bad weather, you may have to throw a ball for 1/2 hour in your home.) Even after 1/2 hour of excerise, you may still have to play with her. But play can consist of having her on your lap to play a little tug of war with a favorite toy or something. I find that I am on the go from the moment I get in the house 4:45pm (from work) to almost 9pm when Millie finally settles down. I put her to bed about 10pm.

Of course you could just have a real hyper dog, which will require more excerise than normal, too.

I am not sure of your scheduling and how much of the time you are leaving your dog alone, either during the week or week-end. All these things can lead to a hyper puppy from not getting the much needed attention these little ones need.

But this is all guess work, given the little information you provided.

I find that Millie is much better on the weekends when she is with us and active most of the day.

As far as barking, rather than try to find the reason for the barking you will have to try to redirect the behavior with positive reinforcement. I recommend clicker training and you can learn this from local training classes or from books.

Good Luck
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!