View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
annamalyssa
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahcarp View Post
Thanks so much for everyone's prayers, they are working! He's walking around a little bit, he even ate some food. The vet told me just to give him a small tablespoon so it wouldn't make him sick, and he's kept it down. He hasn't been vomiting at all since the first night, although he has had a tiny bit of diarrhea, the vet said it's to be expected. It makes sense since he's had nothing to eat for two days until now, poor little guy. I've called the vet to let her know how well he's doing and she told me he doesn't need to come in unless he throws up his food or seems really lethargic. He even tried playing ball, bless his little heart! I've been having him go on newspaper so I can just throw out the infected poop instead of have it infect the yard. His little body is swollen from being injected with fluids but he's feeling and looking much better. All I have to do is give him oral antibiotics twice a day. I can't wait to have him back to normal, and to give the poor little guy a bath when he's feeling better. I feel bad because I have to keep him restricted to the bedroom, and he wants to come out so bad and play. I am so glad we caught it early, and that he's feeling better!
So glad to hear! he is most likely on his way to recovery now, parvo usually runs it's course in 2-3 days .. if the dog makes it past those days he should be good!! your lil guy is a fighter bless his heart! make sure you keep him confined for 2 weeks, as the virus is shed in the stool for up to 2 weeks after an infection has occurred... everything should be cleaned with bleach and water solution... if you have leather or fabric surfaces that need cleaning go to revivalanimal.com and purchase thier A-33 in the dry or spray solution and use that... it DOES kill parvo. Also keep hand sanitizer around for yourself after you handle him, wash your hands and then clean with the sanitizer.. you may want to designate 1 pair of shoes and clothing that can be worn when you handle him as it is easily carried to other places in the home and it takes 1 microscopic germ to infect another dog or puppy.

I used to breed pit bull puppies so I have dealt with parvo before and know a lot about it... IT STILL SCARES ME TO DEATH when I even hear the word. We dealt with it once with an adult dog and once with a litter of puppies that were only off their mother for 3 days (don't even know how that happened they should have had protection from their mother) and once with a puppy we purchased that had parvo, EVERY1 survived except for 2 of 6 in the litter that were very ill in a matter of hours this was in 2 seperate homes over a period of 5 years... I STILL WORRY SO MUCH about any puppy we get NO MATTER HOW MUCH I CLEAN I keep them confined as much as I can until all their vaccinations are completed.

I am sorry for going on about this, I just want you to be as informed as possible about this disease and how easily it is spread. I wish someone would have been available for me when I first had to deal with this.
annamalyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!