View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
mickey3696
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLeigh View Post
Maybe you could try teaching her to stay at the door until you give the command to go through. My roommate did this with his dog, she won't go in or out without the command "ok".
I have done what they have done and it works great!! You can also teach her to come at anytime so if she oes get out she wont run off. Get a light weight long 25 to 30 foot long line. Make sure it is light weight. Get her favorit treat and take her outside. wait till she is bust and in as happy of a voice you can get call her saying a word, come, treat, anything you want for her to undersand this is something good comming. As son as she get to you praise her and give her a treat. Do this till she gets the hint. Now if she trys to run you can stop her. If she doesnt come then give her a short tug and keep calling her. This will take some work but it is well worth it. No matter where we are or what Muffy is doing All I have to do is say let me pick you up and Muffy comes running. She learned this about a year ago. I still give treats every now and then but not always.
The light weight string is good for the indoor thing too just put it on her and let it dangle and when someone comes to the door step on the end of it and let her try and lunge out the door. This way she doesnt think she has a leash on. Then you can corect her for not staying.

Sorry so long but I hope this helps!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!