View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
my2boyz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I don't know what 'breeder' you have talked with or seen that is charging $3,000.00 for a pet Biewer but I would run fast and far from them. I have a friend with a beautiful Biewer boy who is already neutered for $1,200.00...not so different from a Yorkie price there and he's already neutered.

Yes, I believe part of the price of a Biewer is supply and demand...there are only a couple hundred of them in the U.S. Most breeders have paid a very high price for their foundation stock and I'm sure that has played a role in their pricing too. Most breeders are trying to cultivate the Biewer as it's own breed right now so what isn't breed or show quality should be spayed/neutered and sold for a pet.

No, Biewers are not AKC recognized because they are a new breed and only recently brought to the U.S. So, being steered away from a Biewer because it isn't AKC is ridiculous. The Biewer can be registered in the U.S. through several different American registries and also in Germany through several different German registries. The Biewer may someday be AKC recognized but that is way down the road and I, for one, am in no hurry to see that happen. If it's done too soon the breed will collapse, there just aren't enough bloodlines to withstand closing the stud books yet. Currently the Biewer can be shown through 3 or 4 rare breed venues and they are doing quite well.

Parti Yorkies are actually higher priced than most Biewers. Yes, they are AKC recognized (as a color fault) but they have no standard for color placement like the Biewer does.

So, there are always things to be considered on both sides of the argument and only you can decide for yourself how much you are willing to spend for your pet. Hang in there...find a reputable breeder and you'll find your Biewer someday.
my2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!