View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
asiatic143
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Training from indoor to outdoor & mixing potty habits of 2 dogs

My sister-in-law got a morkie for her kids a few months ago, but has been unable to care for it properly, as their family can be out of the house for up to 13 hours sometimes and the dog is by itself. She's decided to give it to us because we have a dog and they could make good companions for each other.

My concern... it's pee pad trained, but because the dog goes unmonitored for so long, I (and my sister-in-law, probably) have no clue how often or what time of day this dog typically pees or poops. I've asked them to monitor the dog on weekends, starting next weekend.

I plan on crate training him when the morkie (Maki) arrives. Our goal is to train him to pee/poop outside instead of on the peed pad... the reason being is our corgi/shepard (Simba) is around the same age, and although house trained, he still young and can be influenced/confused. I took Simba to the office a few weeks ago and he got so excited/confused that he peed AND pooped in my office. I thought it was just because he was out of his element and didn't think much of it, until he peed in our house that night - for the first time. We nixed that problem right away and he hasn't done his business inside the house since.

SOOOO... needless to say, I don't want to untrain or confuse Simba into thinking it's alright to do his business inside the house or on the pee pads by allowing the morkie to do so. Any advice?

Simba's able to hold his pee/poop for the entire day when we're at work, so about 9 hours. He's a 28 pound dog. Can anyone tell me how long their trained morkie can hold it? Just trying to see if it's even realistic to train Maki to go outside, when we're not home for 9 hours each day.
asiatic143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!