View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Rosie's Momma
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcybaby View Post
Hello Again

I bought a small amount of Orijen puppy, the shop is not very far and it is not like 2-3 hours to go shopping (the distances here are not like in the big cities, everything is compact in Bulgaria) They sell dog and cat food loose from the big (15kg) bags ,so I bought like 200 grams. Darcy eats 4 meals per day in small portions and he doesn’t chew his food, everything from his bowl disappears in 3-5 seconds followed by a big burp. With his afternoon meal instead of 16 grams of his Hills I put 14 and 2 grams Orijen (kibbles cut in half) he likes it and ate it in 5 sec, 10 minutes after that he throw up some of his food( is this normal and because of the change or..) . First I was shocked and tried to take him away from the pile and clean it but no success and he managed to eat it, this was the second shock. He acts normal doesn’t look sick or anything ,4 hours later I gave him home made yogurt and late at night his regular Hills. Shall I keep trying to change the food or just leave it for a while ant try again after a few days. I did a research and really want to give him the best food I can find here. As a new mommy everything scares me and all things like liver disease and shunt after lepto vaccines …
Thank you for your help and advice I appreciate it

Hi again ! ....... First of all ...... relax and enjoy Darcybaby ... don't get yourself all worked up over this eating issue - with time and patience it will get resolved. Pets have the ability to sense when you're anxious, tense, upset etc and react to your emotions ........ so just relax and Darcybaby will relax too

Yes, Darcy is defintely eating way too fast - maybe he had to eat like this so he was sure to get food when he was with his brothers/sisters before you got him?

Anyway, YES, you must try to get him changed over from the Hills so every time you feed him give him about half Hills and half Orijen for a few days and then gradually give more Orijen than Hills until you have him completely switched over.

I think the reason he threw up was because he gobbled it up so fast. Maybe you could sit with him, at his bowl, and just give him two or three pieces of food at a time to see if you can get him to stop gobbling it all up so fast and see if you can get him to chew his food. He will probably continue to throw up right after eating if he keeps gobbling it up so fast and not chewing it, plus, with not chewing the kibble he's not getting any teeth cleaning benefit which kibble will do while he's chewing.

Let us know how you make out
Rosie's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!