View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
CupofDog
YT 500 Club Member

Purina makes horrible dog food. PLEASE dont feed this to your puppy. I am sorry - I don't mean to sound rude!!! I am incredibly passionate about canine nutrition.

Corn is the first ingredient. Many dogs have allergies to corn. More important, it is of little nutritional value. The second ingredient is chicken by-product.

By-products are the grossest, least nutritional things ever!!!!! Beaks, feathers, the parts unsuitable for human consumption.

Here is the complete list of ingredients for puppy chow, from Purina's website:

Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), barley, animal digest, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, DL-Methionine, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, brewers dried yeast, manganese proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

There is no real meat. There is no 'food' in this food! Its basically corn, junk and chemicals...The reason they are able to market it as nutritious is that Purina meets the all too loose standards of the American Association of Feed Control Officers standards for canine nutrition. This doesn't make it healthy.

Think about what makes a people diet healthy, whole fruits, whole vegetables, meat, fish, ect.

There are a lot of easy, healthy options. Many people here on YT homecook. Some of us feed raw diets (Google BARF diet). Some people feed holistic dog kibble like Orijen brand or Life's Abundance (there are plenty more brands like these).

You need to be honest about how much time and money you can spend and then you can decide what works for you. The most important thing is finding a healthy option that is comfortable for you...and your dog will do great! I hope this helps some and please message me if you want more suggestions. I am so happy you looked at the label and recognized the corn as bad!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!