View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
bchgirl
Donating YT 10K Club Member

1. Missy's ears are perky, but I'm wondering if I should continue to keep the top 1/3rd trimmed, or is that only something you do if they are drooping?

The ears are usually kept tipped...meaning the edges and shave 1/3 way front and back...this includes yorkies kept in coat.

2. Missy's second set of vaccinations is coming on Dec 8th. For her first series @ 7 weeks she had Parainfluenza, CAV2-Hepatitis, Parvovirus, and Distemper. The vet has recommended I give her the same series for her next round but add Bordetella. Then another 4 weeks after that, just a Distemper, and shortly after that the Rabies vaccine. Do you all agree with this? I want her vaccinated properly, but I also don't want to overdo it.

Unless you plan on boarding her...skip the bordetella. It's for kennel cough and many puppies get sick from it. The schedule you mentioned is fine. Mine all got a rabies shoot a week after the last set.

3. When can I take her out and about with me? I really can't wait to take her out and about in her new Pet Fly Carrier. Also, I want her to have the opportunity to meet new people and experience new situations.

After she has completed her vaccinations...unless you are very sure of what animals have been wherever you take her. If you have a yard...it's fine to go out there.

4. Treats! I think that I'd like to stick to fruits, veggies, cheerios..things like that. When can I start using these types of things for training. Any other suggestions for treats?

You can use treats for training now. What you mentioned is fine. It's easy to go overboard on treats...and can add unnecessary weight

5. Feeding. Up until now I've been wetting down her dry kibble, mashing it up with a fork, and then mixing in a bit of canned (All Go Natural products). The last few days though, she seems to be prefering just the dry kibble, which I always leave out. Should I stop giving her the canned mixed with mashed, moistened kibble?

If you want to stop the canned...do so...especially since she's shown a preference to the kibble. Usually it's the other way around...wants canned and ignores kibble

6. Nutracal. She still seems to need it, but not as much. How long do you normally give this to puppies for? It's been 2 weeks now, and I've decreased the amount from 2-3 peasize amount 3 times a day, to 1 peasize amount twice per day. I tried cutting it out completely a couple of days ago, and she seemed very tired and blah. Suggestions?

What does she weigh? Puppies outgrow the threat of hypo episodes...so she may not need this any more.

7. Can she have bullysticks this young? She has alot of nylabones and other toys, but I wanted to offer something a little more flavourful.

You can try giving her bully sticks...sometimes puppies get diarrhea from them though. I have two who never had a problem with them...as puppies....and one that did. Now they can all eat bullies with no issues.

8. Grooming, how do you wash and rinse your Yorkies face? What type of brush do you use? I have a little puppy type brush with super soft nylon type bristles. I'm wondering what the next step is after this. I plan on growing her coat long.

Daily cleaning....I use a baby wipe. Bath wise...I use a cup to wet their beards and heads to avoid getting water in their eyes. I use a pin brush to brush them. You need to get a pin brush...it will eliminate matting and that soft brush probably isn't strong enough. Brush her EVERY day....if not brushed regularly....puppy fur will mat...sometimes bad enough the dog has to be shaved.

9. Sleeping arrangements. Last night was the first night that Missy woke me up a gazillion times. She has slept the night through since I got her, only waking up for a quick pee or poop on her pads. Last night she whined for me almost every hour. I tried ignoring her, and that didn't work at all. I'd go and get her, cuddle her to sleep, then slip her back in her crate inside her ex-pen, sometimes this worked for a little while. I also tried bringing her crate into my room and setting it on my night table, that didn't help either. Even with my fingers dangling in her door and my face RIGHT there. She was still unhappy. I do eventually want her to sleep in my bed with me, but 9 weeks is far too young isn't it? I don't want anything to happen to her, and can't think of a safe way to have her in our bed now.

Can't help you there....all of mine sleep with us....cause I couldn't take the crying. I am old and need my sleep.

Enjoy!
bchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!