View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Bhikku
YT Addict

Quote:
How did you decide your pup/dog's hair cut/style? Where did you find the style you like?
Attached are two of the cuts which illustrate how I am going to grow my Ollie's hair out. I'm not into the shaved look, but I don't want his hair dragging the ground getting dirty either.

Quote:
I know kind of what I want Stormy's hair to look like, I want the hair on her head a little longer so I can put it up but I don't exactly want her body hair AS long, maybe a little shorter. I don't know if that would look weird.
I don't think it would look weird. My dog's "head" hair is going to be longer than his body hair too.

Quote:
We were on the couch and Stormy always wants to be on my lap or next to me, she was between my daughter and I and my daughter leaned over and I think got too close to Stormy or something because the dog kinda snapped at her face.
This is very serious. You will need to get a handle on possessive aggression early, or it will become a lifelong problem. (Ever seen an episode of It's Me Or The Dog or The Dog Whisperer where a person's dog won't even let anyone else near them? Yeah, you don't want that problem...)

Your reaction was pretty good (isolation is a good adversive technique with "clingy" dogs), but if I were you, I would have just put the dog firmly (even abruptly) on the floor after scolding her with No! and then proceeded to ignore her for an extended period. I would not allow her into my lap for at least an hour. If she tries to make peace or cuddle with you during that period, rebuff her. Rudely if necessary.

Any time she shows any kind of aggression, your reaction should be swift and dire. Especially since you have kids.

Your kid should always be higher in "pack pecking order" than your dog. Your dog shouldn't ever snap at your kids unless they are physically hurting it. It shouldn't snap over its toys, hands in its bowl, or over a lap that it wants to itself.

People who give their dogs the "right to bite" by rationalizing that it's too small to do any damage anyway are risking loss of the dog and injury to friends/family.

Quote:
So my question is how should I handle this situation and should I stop babying her so much?
Punish the dog when it shows aggression, and stop babying it. Spoiled dogs turn from terriers into terrors. Be careful never to reinforce bad behavior with attention.

Keep us posted on Stormy. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Two questions in one-yorkshire-terrier.jpg   Two questions in one-yorkshire-terrier2.jpg  
Bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!