View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairzyorkie View Post
I haven't tried giving him a treat before I leave and when I return. I like that idea. But every morning we do tell him we love him and will be back . We also leave a light on and the t.v.
I walk him before I leave and after I get home. Otherwise he will pee on the first thing he finds! Fuzzy is a very picky eater so sometimes he has eaten before we go and other times he hasn't. I haven't seen a pattern in his "shakiness" associated with food.
I'm kinda hoping it's something he will grow out of and pray it's not separation anxiety!
dont' just give him a treat he can gobble- try a puzzle toy or a kong stuffed with soemthing- to take his mind off the fact that you have left. And you know he has at least eaten something during the day. I stuff Layla's with treats and then find a big treat to plug the whole and it takes her a good while to get out.

You should try maybe a web cam to ease your mind- i'm sure he just sleeps all day. Many dogs are upset when their owners first leave and then kinda just forget about it- and then he is reminded of your return when you come home. Also he is still young- Layla used to get VERY upset when i would leave- up until she was a year and a half and then one day- she just didn't care anymore. She would bark and cry when i left- so since he isn't doing that when you leave- it's a good sign. If you ARE worried that it is food induced (although it sounds like youd ont' think it is) Try leaving out wet food for him before you leave- this way you know he IS eating when you are gone (dogs tend to REALLY like wet food)

hope this has been some help. i think if you set out a routine and give him a VERY special Kong before you leave he will start to put two and two together and get that yup you leave but then you come home and he gets another treat! bonus
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!