View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

It feels like to me that you're spending too much time on the "bad dog" thing. And, believe me, I've done the same thing. I know how frustrating it gets. But I think you'd have better results if you ignore the mistakes in the house entirely unless you catch them in the act. Then it's not so much "bad dog" as it is an opportunity to show them where you want them to go. The "no" shouldn't be scolding or designed to shame them. Just a "no," then carry them out to the place you want him to go. Sometimes, I'll place the poop on a pee pad outside and then carry them to that spot when you catch them in the act.

I have no experience in belly bands, but my feeling is that's not a potty training tool. That's a desperation tool to keep your house clean. They probably work great for that, but peeing in a belly band is not teaching them that you want them to pee outdoors or on a pee pad. That said, if you have them in the house running loose and can't watch them, go with a belly band and save yourself some cleaning time.

The key is rewarding a success. If you don't have much time in the day with them, feed them and take them on a long walk after work. As soon as they pee or poop outside, go absolutely nuts in praise. Give them a great treat. I think you'll be amazed at the results if you're able to reward them properly for getting it right just once or twice. They really do want to please.

I like the crate thing you're doing in the day. That's definitely the best way to limit their freedom while giving them a place to feel safe. Oh, and the feeding plan is a great idea. I think two or three times a day is fine. I tried three recently and didn't like it. Two works better for me.

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 11-23-2008 at 03:15 AM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!