View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
melrohner
Yorkie Talker

Default Anybody else have a puppy mill yorkie? (behavioral problems!)

Hi! I posted a question a couple days ago about Kayla, the dog I am sort of fostering - she will probably be mine permanently, but I'm still giving her "trial" period a few more days to be sure it will work out. Anyway, she is a puppy mill rescue, bounced from a puppy mill to rescue then to the Atlanta HS, then to a foster home, then to an adopted home that sadly just did not work out. Anyway, when she came home with me Friday night, she was timid as a mouse, quiet and very shy - I'd even say maybe depressed. She's gotten better in the past few days, but then yesterday it was like someone flipped a switch - she began playing with my other dog, playing with dog toys, and acting basically pretty happy (except that she is still a bit afraid of me, but she's making steady progress with that as well). Anyway, now that she's suddenly become a real dog, I'm seeing that she's going to have some behavior problems - barking, chewing, and tearing things up, mostly. I never would have imagined that the timid, meek little creature that came home with me Friday would ever be so much trouble! Does anyone else have a puppy mill rescue, and if so, have you faced these issues? I can't get on to her too much, because I'm still trying to get her to bond with me and not be afraid of me. I think she's bonded with my chi mix, Ella, instead of bonding with me, but to be honest that's all right - Ella is already my "velcro" dog - but I need her to be manageable if I am going to keep her. And for her sake, I really want to keep her, instead of sending her to yet another home that may or may not work out. Anyway, any input would be GREATLY appreciated! I'd like to keep my apartment in one piece
melrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!