View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Deegan's mom
YT 1000 Club Member

Omg EPI - Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

So as some of you may know Deegan has been sick as a dog (pardon the pun) for about a month now and we finally found out what he has. EPI - Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency... I'm so thrilled to finally know why he's been have diarrhea like crazy, losing so much weight, but still eating and drinking 4 times as much as he used to... He went from a hefty 9.25lbs about a month ago to 7 lbs. I was at my wits end and was beginning to think the worst until Dr. Vicky called today telling the results of his tests from Saturday. We're still waiting on results to come back regarding his small intestine & his B12 levels, but this is the major one, and I'm happy to know that this is a treatable disease. He'll have to take an enzyme replacement twice a day (with his food) for the rest of his life & stay on a low fat, low fibre diet, but that's easily managable. Right now I'm concentrating on him gaining some weight. They say that this disease can be deadly if not diagnosed and treated in a timely fashion, as the animal will end up starving to death. I thank the Lord that we managed to find out what this was, even after several trips to the vet, tests & a small fortune. They say that this common in breeds such as German Shepards & Collie's, and I was just wondering if anyone on YT has experience with this, and whether or not it's a Yorkie that had it?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!