View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Bhikku
YT Addict

Quote:
i've tried ignoring him, i've tried telling him no, i've tried punishing him- but these are all hard techniques when he's not only biting my family, but attacking them...there isn't much time before we have to rip him off because he leaves huge gashes.
This does not sound like a "mouthing" problem to me. "Mouthing" puppies, in my experience, do not typically "leave huge gashes" or draw blood whatsoever. If you have a biting dog that draws blood, that's a major issue. My puppy mouths me in play, I yip, and he lets go. That's mouthing as I would define it. This dog doesn't sound like it's playing to me. And no puppy should be putting its teeth on humans after 3 months of age. Ever.

There is a difference between a puppy snapping at a little boy because it's afraid of him and actually taking after him and attacking...

Quote:
Respect is built by trust and understanding not tough love. Tough it stops two way comunication and teachs the dog you are going to hurt him if he does not comply and right now.
I have never hurt a dog by alpha rolling them and I generally do not use negative reinforcement to stop a behavior in my dog. I use positive reinforcement to counteract it.

However, I have used alpha-based training in conjunction with a ton of positive reinforcement with all of my dogs, and I've never had any kind of an issue with the dogs fearing me. A lot of my training is through posture, touch, and eye contact. I train my dogs to hand signals, the clicker, and verbal commands. My main currency is praise, treats, and toys. Only occasionally do I have to "pull rank"...

My dogs respect my authority, not because I use "tough love" on them but because they are secure in their subordinate social positions in my pack. They don't attack any startling noise or movement because they know that I am strong enough to protect them, and it's my duty to do it. Not theirs.

When I talk about the alpha roll, I'm not talking about grabbing the dog by the scruff and throwing it hard on its back, I'm talking about picking it up firmly (because the OP did not mention that the dog bites her, just her family members) and putting the dog on his back, holding him there with a hand to the chest until he settles down, Cesar-Milan style. Sure he'll resist, but once he's done, he'll probably see things a lot differently.

I don't generally believe in "tough love." However, when my dog acting out in a way which is putting others in danger (or himself by extension, since most "SERIOUS biting problems" end up being euthanized) tough love is something I think becomes a necessity. Otherwise you can coddle your aggressive dog into an early grave and maybe get some stitches for your trouble.

Maybe smaller dogs do need a lighter touch, but I think that being afraid to discipline your small dog is the reason many of them have the reputation of being fear biters with nasty tempers. The dog, if it is reacting aggressively out of fear, is afraid because it's insecure. Any strong gesture of authority from its master should serve to help placate those fears, if done correctly.
Bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!