View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twins View Post
My Yorkie recently got dx with a liver shunt. She had alot of the symptoms of your Yorkie.

Her liver ezymes (sp?) were very high. Had a bile acid test done. It was abnormal. Vet indicated she may have a liver shunt. Took her to a Board Certified Radiologist, who did an ultrasound. He confirm a liver shunt.

Fortunately, the type of liver shunt she had, can be corrected by surgery. We just can not afford it right now. In the meantime, she is on a low protein diet. Hills K/D.

Sorry i didn't read all the replies. Have you had your vet do a bile acid test? That is the first step of liver shunt.

GOod luck.
I am so sorry to hear about your baby...I hope you will be able to get her the surgery needed. Have you looked into the University of Tenn? Dr. Tobias is highly recommended and ppl here have gone there and had the surgery and it cost about $1300

P.S. I believe K/D is BAD to be feeding a Liver Shunt dog. Others will chime in soon, but I think it may have Pork Liver in it and that is VERY HARMFUL to be feeding an LS dog.

Hills canned l/d or royal canin hepatic ls 14 is BEST for LS dogs

I would really hate for you to be doing more damage to her liver by stressing it with the wrong food.

Please join this group: DogLiverDisease : Dog Liver Disease

They are very experienced with LS dogs and they have a great support system and a wealth of knowledge to guide you to help your baby!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!