View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
gzarr
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikku View Post
I suggest you make recall a game. Turnabout is fair play. Make eye contact with her in a playful way and pretend to run away from her. Lots of dogs are tempted to follow by this. If she does follow and catch up with you, give her a really delicious food reward and praise her. Soon she should get the idea that following you around is a good thing.

I've used this technique with every puppy I've ever raised (even the really stubborn, selectively deaf ones) and it's always worked. They all come when I whistle.
This sounds like a great idea! The only thing is Isla sometimes doesn't even follow in play mode. When I got her I knew that most dogs like follow moving objects, so thinking if I ran away she would come "get me." It only worked if she was in the mood or it suited her (ie. she knew I already had a treat). So if I can't even get her to come at all, how can I get her to come just once without her knowing she'll get a reward to start the process?

I feel like since she doesn't come when called I am not truely her pack leader and I need to change that!
gzarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!