View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
Sidney
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carters Mom
I've recently begun to research breeding so I can be better informed about lots of things. One of the highly recommended books for reading is "The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog" by Anne Seranne. It can be purchased at amazon.com in print format or electronic format. Even though you may not be breeding for show dog potential, the book is VERY good. It is a pretty easy read and goes into genetics as well. It helps you to understand how prior generations will affect the pups you hope to produce.

It explains the reasons you should wait to breed a female until after their first heat too.

There are so many things that can go wrong in the whelping process that you'd never consider unless you research. Glad to see you're researching first, breeding later!

Good luck.
Lisa
I have Anne Seranne's book and I agree with Lisa...great book with alot of imformation. Another one i bought that is easy reading and great imformation is by Terry Shumsky. I think the title is Buying a happy, healthy dog ( something like that. ) anyway it is full of imformation on breeding delivering, picking out a good dog etc. Also can be purchased from Amazon.
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!