Thread: modified coat
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
gzarr
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Pebbles View Post
No, it hasn't always been like this. When I first got her, she had curls. It wasn't until I got her groomed and they cut the curls off did I see the dreedlock thing going on. Her hair on the top of her head seems more silky. To look at her, or to pet her she doesn't seem matted at all. It wasn't until I parted the hair back and saw the hair at the scalp did I see that it looks kinda like it's matting. Pebbles was born on June 30th.

What is the best kind of brush or comb to use? Any products good at helping to detangle? Should I detangle then shampoo or do you shampoo then detangle?

To tell you the truth, I haven't seen major mats yet that I've had to work on. You can tell that by the roots the hair seems to be more "fuzzy" and together so that the rest of the group will clump out on it's own. I've been waiting to have a serious mat that will need grooming but her hair hasn't yet gotten that way. Maybe it won't? I hope not. I hear from all those with more cotton coats that they are difficult to deal with.

The products I started with (and I know you aren't supposed to use human stuff) was Dove shampoo and cond. for dry hair. Isla smelled great for days and it seems to really make her soft. Since she's so young I have only brushed her twice to get her "feet wet" with the experience and I used a med. toothed plastic comb. If she needs a refresher in between washing then I use my daughter's no tangles spray. That helps a lot, too.

After I saw you weren't supposed to use human products on dogs I went out and purchased Mane and Tail. I'm really not sure if it's helped all that much. It almost makes her hair more dry and I want to say that I liked the Dove a whole lot better.

Isla was born June 23rd. Same age! What mix is Coco exactly? Isla isn't 100% yorkie. She's a silky/yorkie. I thought that would have something to do with the coat, but silkies have the same one as yorkies.
gzarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!