View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
YorkieRini
Livin' La Yorkie Local
Donating Member

Default There's more to it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymonkies
Hi all! I've been gone for a while, but it's great to be back!
Well, my little girl, Maddie, is currently 8 months old. I am putting some consideration into breeding her and Monkey, so I am starting early with my research. I want to be well informed before I make that decision, as I have never actually bred a dog. Growing up in the country, I do have some experience with my grandmother's chihuahua (among other dogs) that would become pregnant "randomly" (those were ugly little things whatever they would come out to be ). That's about it.
I would only be breeding them for myself. My boyfriend and I are so in love with our babies, we wanted to get another one. So we just figured it would be cute to just breed them. Plus, we have family members begging us to breed them so they can get in on some of this love we've got going on over here . Here are some questions maybe you could help me with.

1.) Currently (8 mo.) Maddie is at 4 lbs. I expect that she will be around 5 lbs. as a full adult. I think this is a good weight. She is not skinny or frail. She's really strong and solid even now. What is the average safe weight for breeding?

2.) Is it correct to say that she should go into her first heat at around 9 mo?

3.) I know that you should wait until her 2nd heat for breeding, does it make it any better to wait until she's even older than that? Maybe the 3rd?

4.) Monkey is almost 2 years old. He is 3.5 lbs and very thin. I think he would make the perfect stud for Maddie since he's smaller, but I don't know his background or parents. Is it possible that his bloodline could have much bigger dogs that could affect Maddie's pregnancy? What would be the chances of her puppies being too big for her?

I know this was REALLY LONG! Thanks for taking the time to read it. Thanks for any info you might have!
I see Pat and others have answered some of your basic questions which are good. Now, you need to be committed to take on the more expenses and dedication.

Please visit my website and read my General Info Page. To see what all is involved with breeding if you work. Keeping in mind all that's involved costs $$$$..are you prepared to pay for all that's neccessary? Breeding is a passion for me. And I am first to admit I am hard on those that want to breed because I don't think many realize what's really involved. Too many get into breeding and then get out just as quickly because it wasn't all rosey as they thought it would be. Breeding Yorkies is extremely challenging and mentally exausting at times....

Best of luck!
Irene
YorkieRini is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!