View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
GeorgiaOnMyMind
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Confused Puppies are 4 wks today and HUNGRY! (I think)

I have a question and need serious help - btw - this is my first litter.

I have 3 puppies that are four weeks old today and the mom has not been spending any time with them. I mean she goes back there if someone else goes and checks on them. They are in our master bedroom closet. And she will diaper them, but won't let them nurse.

The only time I have seen them nurse is when she diapers them and they have to grab a quick snack and then she jumps off. The middle weighted one is crying more and seems like he is hungry. They are gaining only a very little of weight this past week but then again, they have been playing like crazy.

I know at some point she nurses them less and less, and will wean the puppies themselves, but I think she's only nursed them (maybe - like laying down and nursing them until they get full) only once since about 2:00 pm yesterday.

I gave them some Nutri-cal last night about 10 pm and then when they were crying at about 2 am, I got up and made some formula and very ground up puppy food and fed them. They went crazy over it and ate until they were satisfied and then went to sleep. She was in the room with me but wouldn't go nurse them. She did however, want the ground up puppy food and tried to eat their instead of hers, I guess she thought it was something better! She has also began to start growling at them when they have tried to nurse.

Also, whenever I do supplement them, what it the best supplement I should be giving them (like the formula or ground up puppy food or both or something else) and how often, at this age should I feed them. Also, will they get constipated and what should I give them, if anything to relieve it?

Thanks for your help. Hopefully, I can prepare ahead of time, instead of at 2 am in a crunch with your help. And maybe they will get some much needed rest with full bellies.

Thanks so much for your help!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!