View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymonkies
1.) Currently (8 mo.) Maddie is at 4 lbs. I expect that she will be around 5 lbs. as a full adult. I think this is a good weight. She is not skinny or frail. She's really strong and solid even now. What is the average safe weight for breeding? I would not breed a female under 5 lbs. 5 lbs is a healthy weight and less of a risk factor.

2.) Is it correct to say that she should go into her first heat at around 9 mo?Some females go in at 6 mths and some later. Same as humans some girls will start at 10 and some won't start till they are much older. My Gracie didn't go in till she was 11 1/2 mths old. you can start looking for signs now since all dogs are different and we don't have an exact age.

3.) I know that you should wait until her 2nd heat for breeding, does it make it any better to wait until she's even older than that? Maybe the 3rd?You wait so that they can mature in personality and their bodies can mature. Paula waits till they are 2 years old before she even considers breeding. This will make sure of their adult size and if they are any health problems they should show by now.

4.) Monkey is almost 2 years old. He is 3.5 lbs and very thin. I think he would make the perfect stud for Maddie since he's smaller, but I don't know his background or parents. Is it possible that his bloodline could have much bigger dogs that could affect Maddie's pregnancy? What would be the chances of her puppies being too big for her?Anything is possible. I would have him tested before hand for liver shunts, bad knees...just an over all check up. Yes, he could have larger dogs in his lines. These yorkies were originally bred down from 15 lbs dogs so the possibility is always there but he is a good size.
Heather, I commend you in doing your research before hand. This speaks volumes about you. I'll answer your questions in color above and this is all JMO.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!