View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
annamalyssa
BANNED!

Embarassed ** Our 1st Week & I never imagined it would be this Crazy &

SO FULL OF DIFFERENT EMOTIONS..

We just brought our baby home on Friday November 7th and I never knew owning a Yorkie would be this challenging yet rewarding at the same time!

** I want to start by saying this little guy has WON my ! and the hearts of my whole family! **

So this is a recap my first week as a yorkie mommy with lots of worries and a leg injury ( he's fine no worries but it happened he jumped off the bed ) , I do hope you will read it entirely and offer some support if you can.

On day 1 we had to leave him home alone all day because our daughter dances in the Bay Area and she has rehearsal every Saturday. I was already worried that he would be lonely and then while looking on the internet on the way to the bay area I found all kinds of articles on Hypoglycemia in yorkies.. TOTAL PANIC ... He was all alone in a strange place and I was sure he would have an attack. I enlisted my older daughter to go home and take care of him, give him Nutri-Cal, and watch over him. She did an excellent job when we got home he was happy and healthy!

On or around Day 6 he started Hacking.. I panicked again after reading about collapsed tracheas,tonsilitis and strep! he had no vet yet and I was waiting for a call back from a pretty good one... but I had not gotten it at the time. So again I was extremely worried about him and hadn't found anywhere to take him, up watching over him and trying to figure out a pattern for the hacking etc. I then realized he had started doing it the first day he wore a hoodie, so I took the hoodie off and the hacking stopped .. I left it off for a couple days and put it back on and sure enough he was hacking a little.. ( I think it bothers him when it rubs around the neck when he is being held ) I still wanted to get him seen by the vet as I wanted to be sure he was OKAY.

Now comes SUNDAY... My husband was holding him on the bed and playing with him, I went into the bathroom to blow dry my hair.. a couple of minutes go by and I hear my helpless little baby yelping like there is no tomorrow! I run into the room only to find out he'd jumped off the bed when hubby turned around for "2 seconds" WOW! I couldn't believe this was happening as I had WARNED EVERYONE TO KEEP AN EYE ON HIM he was very FRAGILE!!!

How could he let my baby jump off the bed? what was he thinking? and worst of all had my baby broken his leg, or both legs.. does he have a head injury or neck injury (my bed is about 3 feet off the ground mind you ) so I put Gucci down and he appeared great until he tried to walk and instantly fell to the ground ... he is such a happy guy that he was still licking my face and wagging his little tail when I picked him up while whimpering at the same time .. I FELL APART and began crying like crazy! my husband was scared as well and felt so bad that he ever took his eye away, all he kept saying was I didn't know he would jump and I thought he was ok when I picked him up.. He held Gucci and told him he was so sorry and would NEVER take his eye off him again!

I was in a panic, had no vet and no emergency vet open... so I did a little examination, stretched his little arm and applied pressure to see if he was feeling pain, but he never made a sound.. My brave lil man! He seemed to have NO broken bones, so I did all I could for the time being and put a mini splint on him and left him on bed rest all day in his little vinyl house. Around 10 p.m I opened the door and he came zipping out like a maniac running and trying to jump .. But I put a STOP to all that! I was determined to get him into a vet ASAP just for reassurance that he had no real problems I hadn't noticed or misdiagnosed since I AM NOT A VET.

Which brings us to TODAY I got him an appt with the vet I had wanted! and They saw him at 3 p.m for a FULL EXAM and an EXAM of his little leg (front left one) the Vet did the whole range of motion test, watched him walk, run and leap and said he must have a Small soft tissue injury and that he is VERY LUCKY to not have broken anything because he is very little... he said he was a strong little guy and very healthy! So he is now on bed rest for 7 days... he's going to hate every second of it lol.. but it has to be done. He also examined his lungs, lymphnodes adn everything and says he looks great so the hacking is most likely from the neck portion of the sweater bothering him.

I FEEL LIKE A TERRIBLE MOMMY for letting him get hurt AND I HAD NO IDEA it was ever going to be this rough and that I could ever feel so helpless yet so overjoyed all at once. I would not trade this little guy for the world! but it has been a very long week and definately a learning experience! Does anyone have any advice or is basically a learn as you go process with these guys? I want to keep him SAFE always!

I was a bit concerned as the vet said he was very little but he also said he's 3 lbs and slightly overweight.. is it because he's small but chubby? he is about 5.5 inches in height to the top of his head and 3 lbs.. very cobby and stout. Couldn't it just be the way he's built? Maybe short and thicker rather than short and frail? or is he TRUELY OVERWEIGHT? I have attached a pic below for an idea of his proportions

Thanks to all who have read this and I will appreciate any and all responses!! THANK YOU FOR HAVING THIS BOARD!!
Attached Thumbnails
** Our 1st Week & I never imagined it would be this Crazy &-puppy1.jpg   ** Our 1st Week & I never imagined it would be this Crazy &-puppy2.jpg  

Last edited by annamalyssa; 11-17-2008 at 07:14 PM.
annamalyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!