View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
Latifah
Yorkie Yakker

Default My girl...

Allie is a small girl, she only weighs 4 lbs., but I love her just the same.

I know what the standard says but there are going to be bigger and smaller dogs, it just happens. Since they are all Yorkies, I think that it is silly to get into a discussion about size and weight.

This type of thing goes on in the Japanese Chin world all of the time, with breeders going back and forth about size and weight all of the time. It really gets to be boring because they are all Chin. Kali is a larger Chin at 8 lbs, but she is healthy and happy. When it comes to Chin, I'd rather have a larger one, you don't have to worry about low blood sugar as much with them. Plus they were larger to begin with, breeders started to prefer the smaller dogs and began breeding to that specification. It seems to me to basically make them smaller like Yorkies because of the history of the breed. Well, as I said, I am very happy that Kali is a larger Chin, I wouldn't have it any other way. She's small enough that she's still a toy, but large enough to put up with a three year old that loves to carry the dogs around. In that vein, my Chi mix is a little larger too, but she's still only 7 lbs.

Allie probably would be happier if she was a little bigger. That way my daughter wouldn't carry her around like a stuffed animal all of the time lol.

I don't think size and weight matters. If there were larger dogs years ago, it stands to reason that there will be some larger Yorkies now.

She might have been defensive because her Yorkie is a little bigger and she secretly envies those of us with the smaller ones lol.

I love my "purse" baby Allie, I wouldn't have her be any larger, but if she was, I'd love her just the same. I think as long as the Yorkie has the right coloring, personality and temperment, then what does it matter how big they are?

Sorry for the long post, just my two cents.
Latifah is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!