View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiesnewmom View Post
Great! Thanks, I had thought that he would need a special diet. And asked the current owner if he was and they said no that he never had any other problems after the surgery, other than he don't eat very much at all. Maybe if he has a liver compromised diet he would eat better. I'll be picking him up here pretty soon, the wait is killing me.
That's REALLY sad that his owners have not followed through with his diet and supplements. And right there, you said it "He is a picky eater" ~ That IS a symptom ~ He is probably getting too much protein in his diet, which causes too much ammonia, which causes toxins to build up in his body, which cause him to feel very sick, which causes him to relate that sick feeling with food, hence he doesn't want to eat, because he doesn't want to feel sick.

If he were on the proper diet and proper supplements and lactulose, this combo would actually help him to feel better, would cause less stress on his liver and I bet he would be like a brand new pup!

P.S. I do not believe that he has brain damage, I think rather his liver is having to work too hard to 'try' and combat the toxins building up in his body from the WRONG food.

PLEASE join this group:
DogLiverDisease : Dog Liver Disease

They are a group of LS surgery survivors and some that can't have surgery, some that have MVD or other liver diseases.

P.S.S. My Roxy girl has MVD so I know what it is like to try to do the very best for your liver compromised dog.

Last edited by TLC; 11-15-2008 at 10:26 AM.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!