View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiesnewmom View Post
thanks so much for all your useful knowledge. Chewie did have surgery as a puppy, and now they say everything is fine. He just won't use their doggie door and sometimes acts a bit goofy. His old mom also says he is somewhat of a picky eater, although she does have 2 other dogs that eat whatever Chewie don't. We will definately be taking a trip to the vet to make sure everything is OK. she is also sending me some info on him and his personality. I'm sure everything will be fine but I just want to make sure Chewie has the best care that I can provide. On the lighter note I'm really excited to be adding Chewie to my family. And can't wait to get him home. I pick him up at 2pm today!
That's great that he had surgery to repair the shunt. But please understand, it doesn't mean that he is 100% clear for never getting another shunt. He has LS in his genes and like Yorkieluv said above there is a chance for symptoms to resurface and there is even the possibility that he can shoot another shunt. So it is EXTREMELY important that you continue to monitor him with the Vet doing bloodwork and Bile Acid Tests at least every year.

And it is equally IMPORTANT that he remain on special food for Liver Compromised dogs. There is also important supplements and lactulose and antibiotics that he should be taking to aid the liver and help it function without stressing it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!