View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
DazzlinYT
YT Addict

I'm sorry you're having troubles getting a health record, and I don't know this breeder.. but let me play the devils advocate here for a minute.. 1st.. you shouldn't have bought a 10 week old puppy. Period. 2nd a LOT of puppies knees are loose at this young age, also during heat cycles and pregnancy due to relaxin. The puppy is growing rapidly and everything can be loosy goosy at this age. A grade 3/4 LP on a 10-12 week old puppy is not necissarily going to be a grade 3/4 on an adult dog. this is why OFA will not certify patellas until 1 year of age.. the dog is growing and changing rapidly until adulthood. 3rd any vet who starts crying surgery on a 10 week old puppy with loose knees is not worth his salt in my book...he's obviously needing to make the payment on his Beamer. Let the puppy grow up, and then evaluate the puppy with TWO vets at closer to a year old, no where near it's heat cycle. (Even OFA requires TWO vets to certify).. during this time don't let the puppy jump or climb, or jump off of your couch, or anything else, as that will damage even good knees. I assume you got at least a 1 year health warranty on this dog minimum? Keep in contact with the breeder and let them know you will have the dogs knees re-checked near a year of age (by TWO vets), and if there is STILL a 3/4 luxation requiring surgery, then you will expect her to either pay for it, or replace the dog. I have a dog with a grade 3 LP.. she's an insane jumper. She gets around just fine, and has never had any issues with it. She's 5.5 years old. Sometimes it pops out when she's walking then she stops, wiggles it back into place and keeps on going...she has no sign of pain. Yorkies as a general rule are not good dogs to own if you want great knees. Some breeders (such as myself) work very very hard to breed good knees, most don't... You have to make that choice BEFORE buying a puppy to buy from someone who is breeding healthy dogs and has the testing to prove it....not regret it after. Hope everything works out for your little girl.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!