View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Dara311
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokis mom View Post
I have a vaccination question - Keoki is 1 year and 5 months and I am paranoid about over vaccinating. He is due for some shots and they keep sending me reminders- could someone tell me what he needs and does not need- I asked this once before but now that the time has come i would love some help. I plan on switching him to a holistic vet but until then please help. It says he needs Heartworm test ( occult) , Bordetella Booster , Annual Health Exam, Fecal Exam ( Flotation) , and DAPPV Booster ( what is that????) I'm not so crazy about this vet because he seems money hungry to me so thank you for your advice- I really appreciate it

Ok, Heartworm test...yes yes yes!!!! even if you have your dog on montly heartworm prevention, things can still happen---mosquitos are the main carriers, and they can still come inside and get your doggie, so do that......

bordetella---i would only get this vaccine if you board your dog or get your dog groomed, or go to a puppy park all the time- if you dont do any of those its really non important--- my dachshund has not had a bordetella for about 4 years and she has been fine- however, if you do board your dog, you need to get it done about 2 weeks prior to boarding since it takes about 24 hrs to get into their system....

DAPPV Booster-- this is for distempter ( man, i cant think of what the others stand for) but this is a yes vaccine too, beacuse it will help your dog from getting sick

I would really only do a fecal once a year, unless you notice anything odd with your dogs stool. Fiona's vet visit when she was 3.5 months old, i did not bring a stool sample in, since i have never seen anything abnormal...

Good luck, I hope this helps you!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!