View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
YorkieLovin
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Omg Puppy with Coccidia!!!

Ok this is long...but I need some advice please!

We finally got Zeus a little brother and he is just perfect!
He came to us from a very reputable show breeder and is just a wonderful puppy.

The day after we brought him home he started having diarrhea. I first thought maybe it was caused by stress from new environment, travel, etc. or from a change in diet...he ate a few pieces of Zeus' food. But after a day it didn't get better and so I called our vet and moved our initial puppy appointment up to that night. He luckily had a bowel movement at the vets office and they were able to test it. They said he has a High Level of Coccidia !!!!! From what I have read stress is what brings out the symptoms in a puppy.

The vet sent us home with Albon and probiotic powder and told me to give Keyopectate (sp) for diarrhea.

We are now on day 3 of the meds and his poo is still runny and frequent! I called the breeder and she recommended another medicine-ponazuril, which is supposed to work in 2 days vs up to 3 weeks with Albon. I called the vet and they told me that Albon was perfectly fine and they wouldn't write for anything else unless the full trial of Albon was unsuccessful!

The good news is...
He is eating and drinking!
He has energy and wants to play in between naps!
He doesn't appear to be dehydrated (I continuously check his skin to make sure).
I have been giving him pediolite and nutrical as needed just to be proactive.

Can anyone share any experience you may have with Coccidia and its treatment?
I am really frustrated...I want the little guy to feel better...and stop pooing all the time!

He is using a pee pad and I have been obsessively cleaning everything with Ammonia to kill the Coccidia Cysts so that Zeus or my hubby and I don't get sick too.

Ok…so what else can I do? Have any of you guys had luck with Albon as a treatment? How long did it take to start to work? Do you think I should take him to another vet?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!