View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Desiree1027
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw

So far so good.
I got a small ziplock of Embark from my vet the last time Dezi went in to be treated for intestinal problems. She is very holistic and was impressed with it.
Does anyone know what grains do to their systems to cause problems? It really seems that I could be dealing with an allergy or something growing into one. I always thought she couldn't eat people food but since I've been investigating dietary options, she's eaten scrambled egg, chicken, potatoes, cheese and none of it caused any issues. If anything, those were the things that helped her feel better.
I was scared of the "raw" because of her sensitivities so I never tried it. But I downloaded an e-book yesterday about raw feeding and although I'm not interested in going completely raw, I guess I understand the concepts he outlined and maybe down the line, I will slowly add tiny bits of raw meat if she does okay with the dehydrated.
During my day of research yesterday, I also found that Honest Kitchen is raw veggies but meat is dehydrated at such a high temp. it is supposedly "cooked" so I figured it was a gentle way to try it.
I am at such a loss so it would be soooooo wonderful if I could open a box and feed without having to cook. Not that I mind, but it seems that my loose recipes may be the latest thing that is bothering her since I don't measure exactly as I gradually try to add kibble back in. I am hoping that this is the answer and maybe her digestive issues are happening because she needs to be closer to their natural diet in the wild. Although it would be really funny since this tiny little 2.5 lb baby bunny is the farthest thing from a wild dog you'd ever see!
I know a little kibble mixed in isn't a balanced meal but I was working towards going back to all kibble as I would gradually add it back in. Each time I tried to increase, we eventually ended up back at sweet potato (sometimes white potato) and chicken since that's what I revert back to when she shows signs of upset and stops eating. That's all she can eat that doesn't bother her. I always hesitated to add anything in, even supplements since whatever I tried threw her into such discomfort that would last anywhere from a day to a week. I never knew what did it or what to expect.
It would make sense that Honest Kitchen grain free would hopefully be kind of similar. She had a small sample last night, and she liked it!
That was the first challenge. Then I mixed a teaspoon in with her sw. pot./chx. breakfast (at 3 AM!) She's still coming off an episode so I feed her small bits till she gets over it and if she's that interested in food, she must feel better, so I'll take anything I can get) So far, no adverse reactions and I was worried about this recipe since it has spinach and cabbage in it.
Say a prayer, it would be so nice for her to not have to go through this on a regular basis.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!